Dry eye syndrome is a very common condition of the eye. It occurs when your eyes cannot produce enough of your own natural tears. It can also occur when your eyes produce poor-quality tears. Here at Wardell Vision Center in Billings, we can treat your dry eye effectively.request an appointment
What Are the Most Common Causes of Dry Eye?
There are a few factors that put you at risk of developing dry eye. These include:
- Age: Dry eye is part of the natural aging process. Most people who develop dry eye start noticing symptoms around the age of 65.
- Gender: Hormones play a role in this condition, which is why women develop dry eye more often than men.
- Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions can cause dry eye syndrome, such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid conditions, and certain inflammatory diseases of the eye.
- Environmental Conditions: Frequent exposure to cigarette smoke, dry air, wind, and staring at the computer screen for long periods can cause this condition.
- Visual Correction: Long-term use of contacts can cause dry eye. The same is true for people who have had LASIK surgery to correct their vision.
What Are the Symptoms of Dry Eye?
The most common symptoms of dry eye are itching, burning, and the feeling that there is something in your eye. Some people experience watery eyes and blurry vision.
What is Dry Eye Treatment?
In minor cases, the use of artificial tears can treat the symptoms. Restasis is also a common treatment. This is a medication that helps your eyes produce natural tears. In more severe cases, a temporary plug would be implanted. If the plug is effective, a long-term plug would be implanted. The plugs would block the tear duct. This would help to conserve your natural tears.
Our Doctor of Optometry Can Treat Your Dry Eye
If you are suffering from the symptoms of dry eye, you should make an appointment with Wardell Vision Center in Billings by calling (406) 281-8480. Our experts in optometry will order tests to diagnose the condition and create a treatment plan that would work best for your condition.